Sunday, 23 August 2015

IAAF World Championships: It’s gold or nothing for Okagbare



Blessing Okagbare
Africa’s fastest woman, Blessing Okagbare, will settle for nothing less than gold medal at the 2015 IAAF World Championships holding in Beijing, China.
It is the first time she will return to the Bird Nest in Beijing after winning bronze in the women’s long jump at the 2008 Olympics. But despite having a strong field of contestants to deal with in the women’s 100m and 200m, she believes this is her best opportunity to get the job done.

Prior to the 2013 edition of the World Championships where Okagbare won bronze in the women’s 200m, the nation waited 14 years before Team Nigeria could win a medal in Moscow. Francis Obikwelu and Gloria Alozie, who won bronze and silver respectively at the 1999 edition, were the last Nigerians to mount the podium before Okagbare.
Two years ago, Okagbare lost the top two spots to Jamaica’s Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce and Ivory Coast’s Murielle Ahoure. The duo are back again among several other top contenders, but the Nigerian is undaunted.


The Jamaican sprinter has posted the fastest time in the world in the women’s 100m this year, a blistering 10.74 seconds in Paris, and the joint second-fastest time with a 10.79 sec in her homeland.
“It’s a privilege being Africa’s number one female sprinter; I feel blessed. So much pressure comes with being a top performer, especially when you have to deal with criticisms from Nigerian fans. But somehow, I’ve overcome that pressure from critics so that I can always focus on what’s ahead. I try focussing on what I can do,” Okagbare, who will also feature in the women’s 100m and the 4x100m, told Sunday PUNCH.

“I’m working my way to be world’s number one. Shelly-Ann is a great athlete; I can’t take that way from her. But every time I go out on the track, I do not worry about Shelly-Ann or any other athlete. At that moment, it is what Blessing Okagbare can do. I try not to think about what other people can do but what I can accomplish.
“I have my hopes and expectations for this year. I hope I can accomplish my targets. My goal for Beijing is to win that gold medal that my profile is missing.”
Okagbare will step on the track today as the women’s 200m event begin. She, however, admitted the significance of the stadium in her career.

She said, “The stadium in Beijing means a lot to me because, that was the track I won my first and most priceless medal. Before the 2008 Olympics, I never understood what it meant to be an Olympian and a medallist but I was able to achieve that at the age of 19 which makes it a very great memory.”
While Okagbare has become more familiar with top competitions since hitting the limelight in 2008, newcomer Tega Odele will hope to surprise the world when he steps on the track with some of the best sprinters in the world.

Odele, who shocked the nation when he beat the likes of favourites Obinna Metu and Ogho-Oghene Egwero with his personal best of 20.47 seconds in the men’s 200m event at the national trials, insisted he could post a better time.
“The trials were tough but I knew I was going to win. I was very sure that I would beat them (Metu and Egwero), but I didn’t know the time I was going to run,” Odele said after his victory in Warri, Delta State.

“I had the second fastest time going into this competition and then I have been running very fast in practice. When I saw that the times were coming up in practice, I knew I was ready.
“I can’t predict the outcome of the World Championships, but it will be great running alongside the best sprinters in the world. Even though it will be my first major outing, I’m not ruling myself out of the competition. I’ve practiced well, the rest is in God’s hand.”

Other hopefuls at the World Championships are Gloria Asumnu, Stephanie Kalu, Cecilia Francis, Deborah Odeyemi, Patience Okon-George, Regina George, Oluwatosin Adeloye, Margaret Etim, Rita Ossai, Uhunoma Naomi Osazuwa, Miles Ukaoma, Doreen Amata (high jump), Lindley Weyinmi Lindsay (100m hurdles), Tosin Oke (triple jump) and Amaka Ogoegbunam (400m hurdles).
The quintet of Okon-George, Oladoye, Adeloye, George and Ossai will team up for the women’s 4x400m event but they have to contend with a strong American team of Francena McCorory, Allyson Felix, Sanya Richards-Ross, Phyllis Francis and Natasha Hastings.
Nigerian-born Christine Ohuruogu will also lead Britain’s relay team as top contenders in the 4x400m event. They finished third at the IAAF World Relays and three of that team – Eilidh Child, Anyika Onuora and Seren Bundy-Davies – made the team to Beijing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...